Friday, May 28, 2010

Beautiful Moments

No, these do not have anything to do with my kids. Just two beautiful moments that happened in the grocery store that I had to share…

1. I was trudging in to the grocery store, two kids in tow (which is a story in and of itself), when I noticed this elderly couple, the wife was helping her husband with a walker and a tank of oxygen. As she was getting him situated with a cart she was asking him if he was sure he wanted to go in alone. He fluffed her off and said he was fine, that he had some things to get, and that he wanted to get them alone. I didn't think much of them again until I was in line. The elderly man s.l.o.w.l.y walked in line behind me. Beautiful moment #1; he was buying his wife roses. No wonder he wanted to do it alone. I had to turn around to choke back the tears. 

2. Almost every day there's a homeless Gulf Vet that sits at the corner of the street by the local Safeway grocery store. He rarely looks up but stares somberly 5 feet in front of him. I've never given him money, I've actually never seen anyone stop, and I've certainly never seen him smile.  The other day I saw him actually in Safeway picking out some food to eat. When I say some food, I mean the smallest thing of potato salad (maybe a spoon worth) and a few, what looked to be, olives from the deli. As I saw him head back to the dairy section I watched as he looked at the prices on all the milks and picked out the smallest individual size they had. I could feel God's pull. I made sure to get in line behind him at the check out isle. In line he saw Kai (I had taken him with me) and gave a smile. He tried to get Kai to smile back. While he was distracted with my son I told the check out lady that I was going to pay for his food. Beautiful moment #2; when she told him that, he started to cry. He said that it was his birthday just the day before and that was the best birthday present he could have received! Could he have been pulling my chain? Sure. I don't care...it cost me less than $5 and it put a smile on his face.

2 comments:

Cory, Chelsea and Isak Bergman said...

Love the beautiful moments! Thank for sharing. It sounds like you guys had a great time in Hawaii (minus the flight back). I would love to catch up sometime when you get settled back into life. Give those boys a hug from their aunt. Love you!

Mom and Dad Cheney said...

Just finished reading "moments" to dad with tears streaming down my cheeks. We sure have blessed lives, don't have to look very far to realize that. Thanks for seeing, you are a blessing. Love you sweet girl!