Despite being 2 weeks before Kai's birthday and 5 weeks before Kadyn's birthday we decided to have their party anyway. This was a very different experience for me than it has been in year's past. I love making a big to-do out of their special days...crafts, games, themes, food, etc. But the past few years have also brought disappointment with not as many people showing up as originally planned which was, for the first time last year, very hard on Kadyn (and as a result, hard on this mommy).
SO we opted to change a few things.
1. We have typically had the party at Grammy and Pops. Our house has always been too small for the actual number of people that rsvp they are coming, but we usually end saying 'we could have had this at our house after all.' And yet, we thought that it might be a better idea to have it at a more neutral spot enticing preschool friends of Kadyn's that might feel awkward if it were at a house since we don't spend a lot of time with them. Bouncing Off The Walls it became. (It's an indoor inflatable gym where the kids can bounce like crazy and get all their wiggles out. By doing this I scrapped the capability of control. Almost completely. I couldn't decide when...we had to take the last available time slot of the weekend we needed which happened to be on a Sunday (November 6th...that's how far behind I am in blogging) during the lunch hour. And it meant that we only had 30 minutes in the party room--not enough time to eat lunch, cake, and open presents.
2. I did ask the boys what "theme" they wanted but couldn't do a lot to incorporate it (nor did I want to do a whole lot with only 30 minutes to enjoy it) because part of the price included plates, napkins, cups, capri sun, and balloons. However, the boys wanted a superhero party, so a superhero party I tried to make it. And Grammy offered to make each kid a special superhero cape complete with lightning bolt on the back--thank you!!
3. As far as crafts and games...scrapped. And pictures? I don't have too many since they were so busy bouncing the whole time. :)
4. Food? I wasn't planning on doing anything except cake but when I realized that the time slot we had for the party was from 11:00 - 12:30 the day of day light savings (meaning it was normally 12:00 - 1:30) I knew that we had to offer something more than cake. I frantically, last minute, tried to find fixings to make mini sandwiches. And the boys had seen a superhero cake at Safeway that I knew I didn't have time to replicate so I purchased it...which I never do because I always love making their desserts.
And how did the party turn out? Pretty darn well even if it wasn't what I imagined. Almost every single one of their friends came and the boys had SO much fun--which was what we were shooting for and what a party is truly about.
| The cake they wanted. |
| Look out evil villains--Kadyn and Kai trained their superhero friends! |


2 comments:
SO sad we missed this!! But looks like you had a whole lot of fun! You two are my super heros for sure! :)
Awesome! It looks like a blast! It's pretty funny that Chris Rockwell had his birthday party at a similar place in Spokane! I think you could throw it there every year no problem! Boys never REALLY grow up!
Post a Comment