Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Final belly shots and nursery reveal

 It looks fake.
Like it shouldn't belong. (Yes, I did a wardrobe change--I was ready for bed but wanted to have a bare belly shot so you could see how truly large I am)
 And yet, he's in there. And I swear this baby is going to be not only large, but long. I think he's been ready to come out for the past few weeks but as my Dr said today I "have a very stubborn cervix." I was thankful for this during the 28th week drama, but not so thankful the past few weeks as I've been in and out of contractions. Finally, induction day is here. Friday's the day that we will hopefully welcome the newest Cheney to our anxiously awaiting family. And for those that don't believe me that I'm as big as I was with Kai...go HERE

And now to the nursery. Since we didn't move in to our first house until Kadyn was 5 weeks old and we used our guest bedroom as Kai's "nursery" I have never really had a chance to truly nest and create a baby space. This was so fun and yet so daunting at the same time. I had commitment issues. I knew I didn't want a "theme"per-say, but I did want to mix gray, blue, green, and orange. Once I found the fabrics I wanted I waited too long to buy them and our store discontinued them so I had to order them from randrom stores in Oregon and Washington and have them shipped here.
 Ryan and I put a lot of work in to this nursery and we're both really pleased with how it turned out. He painted the old crib and chair (a $20 garage sale find by my mom) a dark gray. We painted 2 of the walls a light gray with darker gray stripes (the paint was the most expensive purchase of the room) and though you can't tell by the picture, the other 2 walls are the darker gray color to match the stripes. It's crazy how it looks like there are 3 different grays on the walls.
I used my first sewing experience ever to make a crib skirt and followed that up with a pillow cover, blanket, and stool cover (fabric $30, bumper $30, stool $10). Another garage sale find was the nightstand and dresser ($10 total). Ryan redid them...see the nightstand below? That's how it started. The dresser was an oak color. 
 He first sanded them down, stained the tops in a gray, painted the bodies the turquoise-ish blue, and then antiqued them with grey. ~Love~

 And the big brothers gave their touch to the room as well. They each painted a canvas ($5) and I made the 2 "brother" signs between them ($10). Kai really wanted them to put their handprints on the pictures while Kadyn really wanted to turn his hand prints into a heart...because he made a "heartbeat" for the baby. You have to realize that I was loaned a doppler (at-home heart beat monitor) to use throughout this pregnancy and Kadyn was infatuated with listening to the baby's heartbeat. He got quite good at finding it quickly. So it was really special to me that he chose to make his picture to reflect that without even being prompted to do so.


 The only thing missing in that room is a baby. :)



2 comments:

Rachele said...

such a cute nursery, greta! Love the various shades of grey.

Nicole Leigh Shaw said...

Gorgeous nursery! Great finds! Come decorate my bedroom.

I had to comment that we had Hannah paint canvases for the twins, too. They are not hanging in this house (yet, but, whoops, it's been 2.5 years . . . Should. Get in that).

So glad Lukah is here! Congrats!