Friday, July 11, 2008

Life's Lesson

The other night I took Kadyn to the park to support a friend that was getting baptised with the church. Keep in mind this was a church function.

I put Kadyn on the ground to run around for awhile because he was getting very tired of his stroller. He played football with the woman sitting next to us and flirted with a little girl (a friend of our friend). Then, it was if he couldn't control his energy or excitement and started running in circles. Running and running and running...more and more energy. Out of nowhere he darts over to this little dog and kicked it. Yes, I said KICKED it! Not once, but twice by the time I got over to him.

I was MORTIFIED!! After a few firm no's, several apologies to the dog owner and a timeout, Kadyn was placed back in his stroller for the remainder of the event. It wasn't until he was placed back in his stroller that I finally looked up to survey the damage.

I thought for sure everyone in the park was probably looking at me like I was raising a hooligan. But no, there were just a few sympathetic looks from moms that "have been there."
I don't know if he thought this little dog was the football he was throwing and kicking before, or if he just got too excited (by no means am I justifying what he did). I don't know if my punishment was sufficient or if he's learned his lesson about not kicking dogs (even little ones). However, what I do know is that I'm in trouble with another little boy on the way.

God give me guidance, direction and discernment. Give me patience, love and understanding. God, bless these boys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh those lessons can be so hard; and I bet there's not a parent out there who can't emphasize with you in that moment. Those little boys are so fortunate to have you as their "mah-mee" and Ryan as their "dah-dee." God couldn't have planned it any better.

I love you all.
Grammy

Anonymous said...

oops - empathize :)

Nicole Leigh Shaw said...

You're not alone, momma. Imagine my horror when Hannah refused to let her friend join a game of Ring Around the Rosy. She screamed and said no and left her friend crying and feeling terribly rejected. Not that she hasn't also hit, pinched, and hair pulled. We once left the park after she hit her friend in frustration. It's no easy thing. But, I'm equally awed when she's caring, charming, and kind. That happens a lot, too. Especially with her sisters. Just wait until Kadyn interacts with his brother. You'll see God's love flowing right through him and back out again to his baby brother. Hang in there. You're a fabulous mom.

Love you, Nikki

Nicole Leigh Shaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.