Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A much needed vacation

I think all vacations are much needed and I may even say that it's a much needed vacation every time we take one. But truly, this one was needed and perfectly timed. We left on Friday, May 25th, and returned on Saturday, June 2nd.

Grammy, Pops, and Uncle Anders greeted us (and all our bags) at the Kauai airport with leis. 
 Poor Kadyn was in a benadryl stuppor after a bad mommy move and nut scare on the airplane. The kind family behind us were traveling with a baby and had handed out "thanks for your patience" bags filled with ear plugs and candy. I peeked in Kai's bag as Kadyn had already stuffed his in his suitcase and checked out the candy. All I saw were hershey kisses so I honestly didn't think much of it when 2.5 hours in to the flight Kadyn asked if he could have a piece of his candy. It wasn't until he handed me the wrapper and I saw with peanuts that I realized my mistake. Fortunately, he only had 1 bite and very willingly gave me the rest. His reaction to peanuts was never as severe as it is to tree nuts (just hives vs anaphylactic) so I wasn't initially as panicked as I soon became. 3 minutes later I heard him begin clearing his throat and he looked up at me and said "Mommy, I swallowed a piece of cardboard." More throat clearing. I yelled over to Ryan my need for the benadryl. I gave him 2 doses hoping to avoid the epi pen on the plane. Fortunately, it worked. And after another hour it seemed we were out of danger zone. However, his lethargy afterwards was so sad.



After a quick stop for lunch at our usual get-off-plane-restaurant the kids were ready to hit the beach and pool running.







The difference between the first year we took the kids and this year was incredible. The first year Kai didn't even want to have a foot in the sand never mind going in the ocean and he also didn't even get in the pool until the very last day we were there. This year he was wave jumping and diving in the pool on the very first day. The first year Kadyn enjoyed everything but was a bit more timid. This year he was entirely on his own and he even learned that he can swim in the deep end of the pool unassisted!

**More to come!**

No comments: